Due to the positive interaction displayed during these events by this group of Haitians, Deslandes Larrieux saw the need to re-open the Haitian Association and decided to approach a selected few to introduce the idea. After many meetings at each other’s homes, ACHC was created and registered by the following Haitians: Deslandes Larrieux, Elda Harris, Naomie Fevry Delva, Olibrice Cesaire, Urbain Louissaint and Yvon Thevenin.
The main objectives of the Haitian Association of Calgary are to:
- Educate the public on the history, art, music, culture and language of Haiti.
- Become an inspirational source of exceptional team culture for people in Calgary of Haitian descent.
- Organize and implement social, cultural and educational activities that meet the needs and interests of our members.
Some of the notable achievements during the existence of the Association:
- Acquisition of a building in 2004 used by various community groups and is available to the public to host meetings and other small functions
- Provision of scholarships annually
- Annual Haiti Independence Day celebration
- Donations and Emergency relief fund
- Weekend and holiday activities
We are planning different new programs to meet the needs of our members and our community.
We welcome any person of Haitian descent and others, interested in the Haitian culture, to join our Association (Please check our Membership page for more information).